Sunday, 19 February 2012

Gas Street Moorings, Birmingham

Way back when....  The Birmingham Canal Navigation Society Bonfire Meet 2011.  It is held by the Engine Arm at Smethwick and for our "safety" the society erects a huge floodlight.  So it is almost like daytime all night.

This year the Council, in its wisdom, did not sub the fireworks, so they were paid for by the Society.  

And they put on a great show.  Probably the best ever.

The bonfire itself is built from hundreds of pallets and there were 6 Guys made by a local Cub Scout Pack.

So thank you to all the hard workers (including us) who made the meeting such a great weekend.

The outgoing Chairman, Graham Whorton had just resigned with ill health and at the AGM it was suggested that someone bought a "Get Well Card" for him and for everyone to sign it.

So I jumped in and offered to make one for him. 

I made a concertina card, sticking 5x7" card blanks together to give it strength.  Then I used photos of Atlas and Malus because it was Graham who worked so hard to get the boats for the BCNS. 

This is the front with the blue ribbon tied in a bow.

And this shows the two matted photos with the bow untied.  I matted the photos onto silver card and then yellow card.  These photos were then matted onto one larger piece of blue card with was again matted onto silver card.   The blue and yellow colours follow the livery of the boats.
 This picture shows the "back" side of the card.  I stamped various waterways related items, wild flowers, birds, butterflies, toadstools etc.  There is lots of room for signatures and good wishes.

This photo shows the "front" side.  On the second page I matted the sentiment.  It was decided to say "We hope you feel better soon" rather than "Get Well" in the circumstances.  (Graham sadly passed away not long afterwards).  I matted this onto blue and silver card and added more stamped pictures.

On the back page I used another photo which was matted in the same colourways as the front and stamped some seedheads and a flying wild goose.  The ribbon was stuck down with some double sided tape to keep it in place  Fortunately the card fitted into the envelope so I was well chuffed I didn't have to make a box too.

No comments: