Thursday 3 June 2010

Oxford, Oxford Canal

A completely useless sign here! "Canal Users. Stop here and use footpath to operate lift bridge". I couldn't get the footpath to lift the bridge, I had to hang on as usual.
Here is another picture of the lift bridge from upstream, I liked the juxtaposition with the motorway bridge over it. I waited as long as I could for a lorry to go over the top and then missed it!

We left Kiddlington early and arrived at Dukes Lock at 0715, there was a boat about to enter the lock and another one waiting behind it. Looked like a busy day. Both boats had come off the river that morning.
We travelled on into Oxford and were soon moored up on the brand new moorings opposite the old boatyard at Jericho. A great improvement from the old broken down banks and metal spikes. Shame about the boatyard opposite. So much heartache and no progress - just big wooden fences.


A photograph of a lovely "back end" of a butty. Lots of paintwork and ropework. I matted the photo onto silver card and then onto red card which I trimmed with deckle edged scissors. The light blue ribbon was stuck down the front of the card towards the left hand side and then the darker one with the decoration was tied around on top with a knot.
The picture was fixed over the ribbon with sticky fixers and three glass gems added to the bottom right hand corner.




No comments: