Thursday, 19 May 2011

Gas Street, Birmingham

One of the big 4 accountancy firms (not our daughter's - she hates boats) was having a team building day out.  Down Farmers Locks and then back up again!!  Here, Mike is showing two of them how to do the first lock.  The rest are mostly drinking beer and having a good time.  

Didn't get to see them 26 locks later.

 Got an order for a card for a future daughter-in-law, and a chance to pull all the stops out.

The latest Making Cards magazine had a template for a new type of stand up card so I went for it.  The disadvantage of this card is that you need a piece of A3 card to start with, but I managed to find some from under the bed.

I covered the front of the card with some pink paper and then cut out a square from the centre, outlining the cut with some silver peel-off strips.  I printed off the Pink Petticoat digi stamp, the sentiment, the girl's name and the verse on the back.  The sentiment I matted onto some of the pink paper and then mirror card and fixed it to the top left hand corner of the card.  Two pink paper roses were added for effect.  The name was cut out with a Nestabillity die and I threaded some pink ribbon through, cutting the ends at an angle before fixing it to the bottom right hand corner of the card.  I added another rose to the right hand side of the name.  Finally a large pink paper rose and leaves were added to the bottom left hand corner, and some gems to the top right hand corner.

You can see from this picture that the card has a mountain fold in the middle and the actual card is stuck down on this.

Firstly I covered the card with patterned paper, then mirror card and then the same pink paper from the front of the card.  I coloured in the image with watercolour pencils and die cut it to an oval with a scalloped pink border and then a larger mirror card border then stuck it onto the panel.

When I stuck the pink paper on the front of the card I used the extra bit at the top to wrap it over onto the back, covering the join with another peel-off strip.

The verse (which David found for me on the Internet) was matted onto the pink paper and then mirror card before being stuck onto the back.

I was going to add another pink rose to the left hand bottom corner, but for the life of me I couldn't find them again! 

To finish off I made a box for the card to go into, 'cos I must have done something wrong in the construction as it would not lie flat.

I covered half of the top with some of the patterned paper, used another peel-off strip on the join and used some die-cut flowers and a tag which came with the papers, adding some ribbon and a sentiment to the tag.  Finally, I wrapped some of the pink ribbon around the box and tied it in a bow.

The customer loved it, but had failed to mention that it was a birthday card she was after not a wedding card.  Oops!!!

No comments: