Wednesday 9 June 2010

Newbury, Kennet and Avon Canal


It rained today, so we decided to have a rest day and stayed at the Pitstop.

So a bit of washing, and a wander around Newbury and that was about it.

Coming back from town we saw Rainbow being serviced, not seen them for ages, so we had a coffee and flapjack and a good old natter before it began to rain again and they had to set off.

The picture is one of the locks around here. Some of them do not have a walkway, but a sort of stirrup fixed by the rail under the beam to help you step up onto the top of the beam. So, for a little fat person like me I have to really struggle - with the windlass in one hand I have to haul myself up onto my knees on the beam and then stand up. Getting off the beam at the other end is probably even more difficult because there is at least a 2ft drop or a fish around to try and find the step.

This lock didn't even have a stirrup step and the top of the beam was groin height. I only used one paddle on this lock!




I bought this topper from Lakeland, a set of 4, you had to make up the bunches and assemble the pieces; white and lilac handmade paper, lilac hessian, dried and paper flowers, tissue and silver thread.
I covered the left hand side of a white hammered card with lilac spotty paper and added a fancy silver peel-off strip along the join. Then added the assembled topper.

No comments: